Posts Tagged ‘attract readers’
“Where Are YOU On Your Writer’s Platform-Building Journey?”
Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan says: “With 32,000,000+ titles already on the market, how do you attract readers and all the folks who can help you compete with authors who are promoters, best-selling or celebrity authors? The answer is in how you articulate the themes you write about (in your fiction and nonfiction) AND linking your name to your themes through your platform statement—BEFORE and AFTER publication. Reach out, not stress out. You and your intellectual property deserve a joyful journey! ”
For a preview of Coach Teresa’s interactive presentations — visit her website: http://WritingCoachTeresa.com, watch her television interview on CBS “Bay Sunday” with host Frank Mallicoat , read her blog: http://lovemadeofheart.com/blog/, watch her on YouTube: www.youtube.com/user/TeresaLeYung, and, do the two exercises (see below) for Day 1 from her workbook Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW
Here’s 2 of 2 of Day 1 Exercises from Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan’s workbook Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW
Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW – print edition available at Laurel Book Store http://www.laurelbookstore.com in Oakland, CA and at Book Passage http://www.bookpassage.com in Corte Madera, CA, and, print edition and ebook edition through Amazon.
Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan who says “Reach out, not stress out!” will present “Where Are YOU on Your Writer’s Platform- Building Journey?” for:
- Gold Country Writers (Jan. 18, 2017 Auburn, CA)
- California Writers Club-SF Peninsula Branch (March 18, 2017 Redwood City, CA)
- SacramentoSuburban Writers Club (July 10, 2017 Fair Oaks, CA)
Please tell your writer-friends who live in or near those counties.
I cheer for YOU!
Teresa LeYung-Ryan is the author of:
- the mother-daughter novel Love Made of Heart (used as required reading in colleges)
- the workbook Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW
- Coach Teresa’s Blog at http://lovemadeofheart.com/blog/
- her monologue series “Talking to My Dead Mom” (her monologue “Answer Me Now” received an award from CWC Redwood Writers)
- the “Immigrant Experience” Writing Contest
- workshops including:
- “For Theme’s Sake: Edit Your Own Manuscript Before Pitching to Agents or Self-Publishing”
- “Heroes, Tricksters, Villains – Know Your Archetypes”
- “Where Are You on Your Writer’s Journey?”
- “Build/Retrofit Your Writer’s Platform”
- “Help Your Fans Find YOU!”
and her trademark Love Made of Heart
- Women’s National Book Association-San Francisco Chapter (member and past board member and officer)
- California Lawyers for the Arts (member)
- California Writers Club (member, San Francisco Peninsula Branch and Redwood Branch; a past president of the San Francisco Peninsula Branch); a recipient of the Jack London Award for outstanding service to California Writers Club
- public schools and public libraries!
Writing Career Coach Teresa LeYung Ryan says:
“Thank you so much for attending my presentation at the BAIPA conference. One hour was not enough for the resources I wanted to give all of you.”
“How does one person stand out in any industry? Building relationships is one key to success. For you, the writer, another key is to know how to translate the themes from your life to your writing and articulate those themes as community concerns. I want to see you realize your dreams.”
1. YOU ARE AN EXPERT/AUTHORITY OF YOUR EXPERIENCES. You, the story-teller, have the power to entertain, enlighten, and heal the world (one reader at a time). How do you attract the readers? By knowing what the themes are in your stories and making your name synonymous with those themes/messages. [for examples . . . read on.]
2. YOU ARE BIGGER THAN YOUR BOOK. “Reach out, not stress out” to: build your platform/brand; market/promote yourself; gain recognition through your circles of influence. Your book is an accessory of you. When people connect with “what you have to say” on an emotional level, they will most likely be talking about you with their circles of influence.
SOME EASY AND FUN WAYS TO MAKE 1 AND 2 WORK TOGETHER:
* I will write book reviews for my favorite authors and sign my reviews with my full name and blog or website address.
* I will learn how to create a compelling plotline by identifying the themes in my story. See how published authors drive their thesis statements, and then examine your project. Study from the books you’d read again and again. [ Martha Alderson is Teresa's plotting coach www.BlockBusterPlots.com There are 3 plotlines, according to Martha: Action / Emotional / Thematic Significance ]
Examples [What are the themes in Teresa's novel Love Made of Heart ?]:
* struggles and courage of an immigrant family.
* mental illness and the burden of stigmas.
* family-violence is terrorism at home.
* forgiveness in others and in self.
* I will thank people who have inspired me, supported my goals, mentored me, believed in me, AND, I will tell them about the status of my writing project. Be concise. Then once or twice a year I will give them an update.
* When I meet people, I will introduce myself with my full name, and, if I’m asked “What do you do?” I will respond with a talking-tagline [Elisa Southard is Teresa's talking-tagline coach www.breakthroughthenoise.com ]
Examples [How does Teresa build her platform? Articulating the themes in her novel by adding Elisa's "talking-tagline action verbs"? ]:
* Through my stories, I give voice to the struggles and courage of immigrant families.
* Through my writing, I advocate compassion for mental illness and help dissolve the stigmas.
* Through my book, I help survivors of family-violence find their own voices.
* Through my book Love Made of Heart, I show that “forgiveness in others” begins with self-forgiveness.
[See how Teresa crafts each statement to focus on one theme at a time? If she's talking to someone who has introduced him/herself as an outreach coordinator at Community Violence Solutions, which theme would Teresa focus on?]
* I will go where published authors go, learn from them, foster relationships, and share my findings with colleagues. [Check Teresa's calendar-of events at www.LoveMadeOfHeart.com ] Teresa believes in “Pay it forward” as in Catherine Ryan Hyde’s novel Pay In Forward. When someone does something nice for Teresa, she does something nice for three other people.
* I will attend community / library / bookstore events and blog about the experience.
* I will post a question on my blog and invite my friends to post comments. I will also ask my friends to forward my request to their friends. Make the task easy for people; give them step-by-step instructions; test the procedure yourself before asking someone else to post comments. Learn more ways to build fame through blogging [ http://askmepc-webdesign.com Linda Lee is Teresa's cyberspace coach.]
* I will identify the organizations that advocate my messages/themes and post my comments on their blogs and also post those same comments on my own blog.
* I will Google my own name and see “who am I” today in the cyberspace world; then every month (as I continue to take action building my platform), I will see the great progress I’ve made.
* I will help my writer-friends by telling them about the April 16, 2009 event where they can dine with and learn more about identifying the themes in their writing from Teresa LeYung Ryan and other published authors at the “WNBA Authors Showcase” Go to: www.wnba-sfchapter.org for more info.
Cheering for all hard-working writers!
Teresa LeYung Ryan who says:
“Reach out, not stress out.”