Ryan’s Tips for Success
“In the fiercely competitive arena of
the publishing world, how does one stand out in a crowd? Building relationships is one key to success in this business. Another
key is to know how to translate the themes from your life to your writing and articulate those themes as
community concerns. I want to see all hardworking writers
realize their dreams.”
1. Make every word count-especially in your pitch, query letter, synopsis, press
2. Research when looking for an agent or acquisition editor/publisher. Who are their
clients? How well are they connected in the
3. Learn about the industry yourself. Join organizations; talk to people in the business; find
mentors; find joyful ways to network and gain resources.
4. Say “Thank you” whenever anyone helps you. Being courteous goes a long
5. Surround yourself with people who are supportive of your dreams and encourage others to do the
6. Keep voicemails and E-mails succinct. Use
bullet-points when asking questions.
7. Follow-through will save you from "I assumed..." headaches.
8. Remember that perseverance + talent + business savvy = dreams come true.