Posts Tagged ‘prescriptive nonfiction a.k.a. “how to”’
Saturday, July 14, 2012
Kim McMillon’s “Writers On Writing” event energizes, inspires, delights panelists and audience!
- Playwright and Arts In the Valley radio host Kim McMillon
- Award-winning Australian author and journalist Stephanie Dale will help authors find their inner voice as writers
- Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan will define “writer’s platform” and guide audience in an exercise to identify their fans, brands, and write their platform-statements (for authors of fiction and nonfiction, before and after publication ).
- Author and columnist Yolande Barial will demonstrate the importance of finding your passion
- Author and educator Joan Gelfand will deconstruct the process of getting published
- Poet and composer Judith Cody will discuss how to write for and publish an anthology
What else do Joan Gelfand, Yolande Barial and Teresa LeYung-Ryan have in common? They are proud members of Women’s National Book Association-San Francisco Chapter!
* * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * * *
Writers’ Platform-Building Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan . . . energized from being with writers today at Rockridge Library, Oakland, CA.
Coach Teresa’s definition of Writer’s Platform: “Making your name stand for something—to attract targeted consumers—who are likely to buy what you have to sell.”
Start with: “I care about . . . ”
Example: (as a writer of fiction, narrative nonfiction, including memoirs )
I am Teresa LeYung-Ryan, author of Love Made of Heart. I care about helping adult-children (of mentally-ill parents) speak openly about the stigmas and find resources for their loved ones.
Example: (as a writer of prescriptive nonfiction a.k.a. “how to” )
I am Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan, author of Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days. I care about helping writers thrive in today’s publishing arena.
Click on the blue title bar of this post so that you see the full post and empty boxes.
Please broadcast to my fans what you care about (themes you write about) by filling in the boxes:
• your name; email address (you must have an email address in order to submit comments to a blog post)
• your website address (you don’t have to have a website address to submit comments, but, do get one if you don’t already have one…my workbook shows you how to get a free site and what to do with it);
• compose your comment ( copy your comment and save it for future use)
• when you’re satisfied with your composition, click the “submit comment” button. Voila!
I will receive a notification that there’s a new comment waiting for me to moderate and publish.
* * * * * * * * * * *
Dear Kim McMillon, thank you so much for having orchestrated the “Writers On Writing” panel. Thank you, Rockridge Branch Manager Pat Lichter & Reggie!
Yours truly (Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan) had sooo much fun with Kim and fellow-panelists Yolande Barial, Joan Gelfand, Judith Cody, Stephanie Dale (from Australia!). Seeing talented friends in the audience– Lori Overgaard Noack, Laurel Anne Hill, Sally, Rosie, D.C., Lakshmi Kerner, and all the brave writers in the room– made my heart sing!
Writers who filled out my evaluation forms (thank you!), I’ll be emailing you more writer’s platform-building coaching tips.
Please send me facebook Friend’s Request so that we can connect and you can access photos from today’s “Writers On Writing”
Writers’ Platform-Building Coach Teresa LeYung-Ryan
Coach Teresa says: “I love helping writers build their platforms and published authors fortify theirs with individualized coaching.”
As coach and author of Build Your Writer’s Platform & Fanbase In 22 Days: Attract Agents, Editors, Publishers, Readers, and Media Attention NOW, she advices: “Make your name synonymous with the issues you write about.”
Teresa has built her own platform happily; her novel Love Made of Heart and her short play Answer Me Now carry the theme closest to her heart: mother-daughter relationship.
Teresa LeYung-Ryan helps clients identify themes, universal archetypes, front-story and back-story in their manuscripts.